(click on the pictures to see a larger (1024*768) picture)
In 2003 Roco made another run of the Norwegian Di5 class
locomotive. The first run of this locomotive was made in the early
nineties. The first run has road number
second run has number Di5.876. The second (2003) run has a NEM/NMRA DCC connector, the first
run doesn't have any provision for installing a DCC decoder.
I installed a Lenz LE0512 in the first run which was quite a lot of
work. The decoder is placed between the metal frame and driver insert.
There is a small hole in the frame for the wires which are soldered
directly onto the printed circuit board.
Installing a decoder in the 2003 edition of this locomotive should
be a lot easier.
After the shell is removed (take out two screws) we have access to
the NEM/NMRA connector. The small metal weight is can be removed to
give more room for a decoder.
When I removed the plug and plugged in a decoder I thought I was
done but unfortunately the first test drive resulted in a blown out
decoder. So their must be a short somewhere.
After measuring all the connector points I found that the yellow
function output had a connection to the red wire. The arrow in the
photo shows the place of the short. The solder point of the diode
is touching the copper strip that is used of the power pickup.
Some electrical tape will make sure that this short will never
happen again. The photos shows a small piece of tape placed over
the solder point on the board. I secured the tape with some CA
Now the decoder can be placed. I selected the Lenz LE1025 which is
decoder with excellent BEMF control which is very useful a
Now the shell can be placed again and the locomotive is ready for
the program track. It was programmed with address 5876.